Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Lip Tint Showdown: Revlon VS Tarte

Hey Guys!! 


I recently spotted one of the most talked about new Revlon lip products since the lip butters! The Just Bitten Kissable balm stain. Now I was super excited to try these because I love their normal lip stains, but I find they dry up too quickly in the tube for my liking so I didn't buy those for a while. I'm going to be showing you swatches of the one I picked up and also comparing it to a similar color from Tarte.

Tarte LipSurgence in Amused & Revlon Balm Stain in Sweetheart


As you can tell, the packaging is pretty similar. The Tarte LipSurgence just has a silver cap and the Balm Stain is silver on the bottom.



They both look the same with the tops off [I've used the Tarte one quite a bit, but it is pointed when you first purchase it]. Both of the lip products are retractable and both have a minty scent. The scent from the Tarte one is more evident right off the bat, I didn't smell the mint the first couple of times I used the Revlon one. Tarte has 0.10oz worth of product and Revlon has 0.095oz so there's not too much of a difference in how much you get in each lip "pencil". The major difference comes when you compare prices, Tarte's LipSurgence is $24 whereas Revlon's Balm Stain is anywhere from $6-8.99. Big Difference!!


Now, how do they compare as far as texture, moisturization, pigmentation, and, of course, the staining!


Texture:

  • The LipSurgence[LS] definitely slides on the lips smoother than the Balm Stain[BS]. You get a glossier finish quicker with LS which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for. I do think that hinders the LS in a category that we'll talk about in a minute.  The BS is exactly what it's saying to be, it feels like a lip balm going on.
Moisturization:
  •  I find the BS to be moisturizing and it sticks to my lips longer than the LS because it's a balm. I reapply the LS more than I apply the BS and I think it's because of how "wet" it is going on my lips and once that "wetness" dries, there's nothing underneath to keep my lips moisturized.
Pigmentation:
  • Both are very pigmented. Because of LS's slickness, it takes maybe one or two more swipes to build up to its full color. It just depends on the opaqueness you're looking for.

Staining:
  • This category is the main reason I even thought about purchasing either of these products! I will tell you that they both stain your lips. The BS, though, stains it much quicker than the LS. I think it has to do with the fact of it not being so "wet" and it's actually able to stick to your lips and work it's magic quicker and with less effort. I've had my swatches on my hand for about 5 minutes, I've just wiped them off and the BS is the more prominent. The LS hasn't even left a mark yet. But like I said, the LS does stain, it'll just take a couple more applications and more time.



Swatches:
[T-B] Tarte, Revlon


[L-R] Revlon, Tarte





Overview:

I love both of these!! I was madly in love with my LS before I came across the BS, but I think I'll be reaching for the BS more. I'll also be picking up more since they're almost 3x cheaper than the LS. I'll advise that if you like the way the LS slides on, you won't like the feel of the BS, but for less than $9USD, I say give them a try anyway. You might find your new love!!



Have you seen these popping up in drugstores around you? Do you plan on trying any? Thanks so much for reading!!

Enter my giveaway here!!!