Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Taco Chili!!

Winter is here[or around the corner] and I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes with you guys. I don't really cook, but this chili recipe is SUPER easy! I love making things in the crock pot because you really don't have to stand around and cook for hours, or watch the stove to make sure your food doesn't burn. 


****************************************************

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 pkg (1 1/4 oz) taco seasoning mix
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz ea.) diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 can (15 to 16 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 oz) chili beans in sauce
  • 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
  • shredded cheese (mozzarella, Monterey Jack or Cheddar)
  • tortilla chips, slightly crushed

Preparation:

In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion, one-half at a time, till meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Transfer to a 3 1/2- to 5-quart crockery cooker.
Stir in dry taco seasoning mix, diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies, pinto beans, chili beans in chili sauce, and corn.
Cover; cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
Sprinkle each serving with some cheese and chips.
Makes 8 servings.
*****************************************************
My Adaptations:
  • I don't really like onions so I leave those out when I cook this.
  • I add a type of beans called Ranch Style Beans , which are spiced up Pinto beans, instead of the plain pinto beans.

  • I use the "Hint of Lime" tortilla chips instead of regular tortilla chips, omg! I love those tortilla chips! Its the only kind my family eats!
  • I am a sour cream addict so I add some sour cream to my serving.
  • I add a small can of tomato sauce in replacement of a can of diced tomatoes. 
  • I always buy extra Taco Bell taco seasoning packets because I feel that it takes more than suggested to get the flavor I want.
  • I pour a taco seasoning packet into the meat right after it gets brown, along with pouring a couple packets into the crock pot.
  • I use corn in the can and it works just as well as frozen corn.
  • The diced tomato with chilies brand I use is Ro*Tel [Mexican style].

I added my adaptations because I wanted to show you that you have to really make recipes your own. Don't be afraid to experiment with things and omit or add certain things. If it doesn't come out right [like my failed carbonara, but we won't speak on that], you know what not to do next time!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and will try it out this winter. It's very hearty and can last for a long time!! Thanks for reading.














2 comments:

Kay Karma said...

Sooooo... why haven't I tried these yet!?

MissAshDG said...

ummm IDK! I'll make some for you =)